Monday, April 19, 2010

FRIENDS, FAMILY & DULUTH = GREAT WEEKEND


I had a wonderful weekend in Duluth with the best of friends and some of my family!  My friends and family met me in Duluth for the weekend to support me as I ran the Fitger's 5K.  Okay...I confess, super small race but it was AWESOME to have their support, see their faces and hear their cheers as I crossed the finish line.  I ran a strong 5K.  First two splits were under 8 minute miles but then I totally tanked on the last mile (I am blaming one too many beers the night before) and my official gun time/time was 25:47.  My pace was 8:18 and I finished 288 out of 1,251 who ran the race.  My division placement was 18 out of 47 and sex placement was 75 out of 760.  Not too bad, but my goal was to run the 5K in 24:00 flat, meaning about 8 min. splits.  At any rate, I am proud of my time and this little 5K lets me know I need to work harder than I have been for Grandma's Half Marathon that I am running in June!  I will blog about that weekend, it is always another super good time.
Duluth is a wonderful city.  I lived there for many years and miss it dearly.  We stayed at The Inn on Lake Superior and all I can say is it is PET FRIENDLY~so yes, Hali came with us for the weekend!  It was so nice to have our little polar bear with us, but the roof top pool won our hearts.  The outdoor roof top pool is open year round and kept constant at 100 degrees fahrenheit!  We swam all afternoon after my race, and LOVED IT!  The weather was picture perfect, soaked in sun, good conversation, laughs, drinks and relaxed away the afternoon!
We grabbed lunch at Fitger's Brewhouse (as we always do when in Duluth).  Great brew and food was consumed by us all!  We purchased growlers of beer, t-shirts and whatever else caught our eye at the Fitger's Brewhouse Gift Shop in the lower level of the Fitger's Complex.  We then hiked it back to our accomodations and enjoyed the roof top pool! 
I want to thank the Hoffmans, Kat, Nadia, Mr. Matt and Hali Bear for making my weekend sooo special and FUN!  I cannot wait to do it again next year, and you all are running with me!
During the 5K race, there really was not too many crazy running fashions, just a lot of spandex as to be expected.  I love checking out all the other runners' shoes.  It is really neat to see what brand they pick to run in, the color of the shoe and so on!  The craziest outfit was "Mr. Hippie Man" who ran in a half shirt, old vintage running shorts, colorful socks pulled up to knees, long hair and the sweat band on his head!  Way to make a fashion statement, LOL! 
Well until my next weekend adventure, keep shopping, keep running and keep it real!

No comments:

Post a Comment